Manhattan Training Virtual Reality
Manhattan Training Virtual Reality, or MTVR, is a virtual reality-based training application for the third-party logistics industry. The app uses virtual scenarios to train new employees in a standardized, realistic, and safe manner with no interruption to the warehouse floor.
My target audience is Directors and Vice Presidents in the company I work for, NFI Industries, a third-party logistics company. Potentially, it could be for any company interested in using virtual reality in training.
3 Professional Goals
- Have enough working knowledge of XR development to be an educated liaison for my company as we partner with external XR development vendors.
- Be able to receive developed content from an external XR development vendor and make edits to the application as needed.
- Be able to build my own training-oriented Virtual Reality training applications.
Standalone Virtual Training Fast.
Manhattan Training Virtual Reality, or MTVR, is a virtual reality-based training application for the third-party logistics industry. Using the latest VR technology, the application is designed to teach basic warehouse tasks such as putaway, pallet picking, case picking, each picking, and pack station. By training warehouse tasks in virtual reality, a 31% reduction in turnover, a 40% reduction in safety incidents, and a 40% reduction in training time can be actualized. In essence, Virtual Reality training allows employees to go through a consistent training experience each and every time and removes the human variable on key tasks. What makes MTVR so special that it is tailored to the Manhattan Warehouse Management System (WMS) and its functionality. The app uses a Manhattan compatible RF gun model and mimics the task flows and screen prompts of the Manhattan WMS, making it ideal for NFI Industries implementations.
View the Trailer
Try Out the Prototype
- To test the MTVR prototype, first download the apk file.
- Use an application like Sidequest to load the apk file onto your Meta Quest 2 headset. To learn how to load an app onto your Meta Quest 2 headset, watch this video.
- Clear a 6 foot by 6 foot space in a private area for using the application.
- Once you put the headset on and pick up the controllers, press the power button on the headset.
- Select the App Library menu icon.
- In the upper right-hand corner, select the filter drop-down menu.
- Select unknown sources.
- Select MTVR to launch the application.
View My Presentation
To navigate the NFI lobby and warehouse, use the Meta Quest 2 Controllers. The controls are the same on both Controllers. To move, press forward on either joystick. Aim the ball to where you want to walk, and then release the joystick.
To turn 45° either left or right, push and release the joystick to the left or right.
To grab an object, put your virtual hand near the object, then press the grip button. To scan with the RF gun, press the trigger button once you have grabbed the RF gun.
Bug or Issue Information
- Currently investigating purchasing newer, higher quality assets to improve the visual fidelity of the warehouse scenes.
- Currently, the app does not require the user to scan the labels in order although the instructions state to do so. This functionality will be added in the near future.
- The Make Pick Cart Scene is still under construction but will feature each picking items using the RF gun and the pick cart.
- Upon exiting with the Meta Quest 2 menu button on the controller, the XR Rig becomes attached to the scene which can be dizzying. It is recommended to exit the app via the front door of the lobby or by pressing the exit button in the Pick Pick Cart scene.